Dirty Chimneys Pose Fire Hazard
There are more than 70,000 house fires annually causing more than $1.3B in property damage and over 2,500 injuries. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), chimney fires were the cause in approximately 30 percent of house fires.
A dirty chimney can cause hazardous smoke, which can lead to a serious risk of carbon monoxide and chimney fire. This is a normal occurrence to any chimney that has not had routine maintenance. Here are a few tips to follow when preparing your chimney for use, especially in the winter.
- Have your chimney inspected annually by a Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA)-certified chimney sweep. Have a professional clean and repair the chimney as needed, especially before the cold months, when you will be using it frequently.
- Use seasoned wood only. Never burn green or damp wood.
- Never burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash or trees in your fireplace—these can all spark chimney fires.
Signs & results of a chimney fire
According to the Chimney Safety Institute of America, there are four key signs of a fire in the chimney:
- A deep rumbling, like a distant freight train
- Popping and cracking sounds
- Large amounts of thick smoke exiting the chimney
- A hot, intense odor
Don’t wait until it’s too late. Keep your family and home safe with a professional cleaning by a certified chimney sweep once or twice a year. It should only take 45 min to an hour to complete.
6 Key Steps to Take After a Basement Flood
- Address Health & Safety Issues: Keep children & animals out of the basement and away from standing water.
- Deactivate Services: Turn off energy services around the affected area, including gas and electricity.
- Stop the Flood Source: A DIY option is not recommended in most instances. It is highly advised to call a professionally trained water/flood restoration company to quickly address the source of the water damage. If you are able to identify the source quickly, (i.e. leak from bathroom plumbing) make sure to wear waterproof gloves and boots to protect your skin from potentially dangerous chemicals in the standing water.
- Extract the Water & Ventilate: Allowing good airflow through the affected area will aid in the drying process. A professional water damage company will use advanced blowers to accelerate the drying process.
- Disinfect the Area: Dry and disinfect the entire area. This is especially important when trying to prevent or contain the growth of harmful mold, spores and bacteria.
Call Insurance Company: Homeowners policies don’t typically cover natural disasters-floods, so check with your insurance company to determine your coverage and next steps.
Commercial Restoration Versus Residential Restoration
Attempting to treat a commercial restoration project like a residential project can lead to mistakes in evaluation and solutions. Residential homes have one primary purchase- accommodate personal living space.
Commercial buildings have a variety of functions, including:
- Office spaces
- Government Offices
- Manufacturing Plants
- Distribution centers
This wide range of uses demands additional consideration about the occupants of the building, the activities in the structure and any individuals visiting the building. All these factors can affect the restoration process. The size of commercial buildings range from 1,000 square feet to over 1,000,000 square feet. Commercial facilities, based on the damage sustained, require more time to plan a scope of work, to estimate the cost of restoration, supplies needed, and involve coordination with staff, management and facility owners.
SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton provides a career path in commercial restoration, including specific training- Commercial Restoration Training Program (CRTP), mentorship, and knowledge needed to successfully manage a commercial restoration project. If this area of the construction management/restoration industry is of interest please connect with us: 609-894-8555 to set a time to discuss opportunities with our company.
SERVPRO® is the leading disaster restoration company in the industry. We specialize in water, fire and mold restoration for both residential and commercial properties.
Severe NJ Weather-Damaging Winds Possible
How many times have we read the above Headline recently?
Warmer weather brings on stormy weather and winds. Thunderstorms, macro-bursts, microbursts and hail all can create monstrous damage to your property. According to the National Severe Storms Laboratory, damaging winds are most often caused by severe thunderstorms in the lower 48 creating havoc, leaving damage and debris in their path. More damage occurs by thunderstorms than by tornadoes. Damaging winds are those classified as winds with speeds of 50-60 mph.
Thunderstorms create a pressure imbalance, sending air currents or downdrafts into the ground which is the major cause of property damage. Living in the Mid-Atlantic, with hot steamy temps, thunderstorms are common. We welcome them to break the heat, but a broken tree limb or uprooted tree landing on a roof is not welcomed!
SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton is there to help you with any disaster. We can assess the damage, clear debris and secure your property. We proudly serve the greater Burlington County area. Call 609-894-8555 for all your emergency needs.
Storm Related Flood and Wind Damage
Flooding presents a serious risk to your home and your safety. According to the U.S. National Severe Storms Laboratory, floods kills more people every year than lightning, hurricanes and tornadoes combined.
When it comes to structures, floods can lead to dangerous contamination and damage to drywall, support beams and foundations. You are at risk for mold within the first 24 hours of a flood, so it’s vital to stop the water from flowing and start remediation quickly.
Different types of flooding come with different risks. River floods and flash floods are common when snow melts and have been known to completely overwhelm structures. Coastal floods and storm surges are even more dangerous, and usually lead to evacuation warnings. These can destroy homes entirely, so it’s best to listen to weather reports and plan ahead. Debris flows, which are often made up of heavy mud and plant material, can crush houses and sweep them away.
High Winds, Tornadoes and Hurricane Damage
High winds can occur virtually anywhere, and thousands of tornadoes and hurricanes hit the U.S. every year.
Damage from wind can be widespread and can affect not only your residential property or business but also surrounding landscapes and improvements. Be alert to the potential for falling trees and power poles and damaged power lines, and take precautions to be ready for emergency action steps. After the storm, examine your property for structural damage to the home, including windows, siding and roofs. In the most extreme scenarios, roofs can be destroyed.
SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton is ready and available, 24/7, to resolve your storm-related damages, including damage caused by excessive water; mold; high winds. We are highly trained professionals with state-of-the art mobile equipment prepared to provide rapid response to mitigate loss of personal or business property.
Call us at 609-894-8555 for emergency service. We are proud to serve our local Bordentown/Pemberton community and the greater Burlington County area.
Top 3 Services SERVPRO Provides after a Storm
The aftermath of a storm can leave a community devastated and the demand for comprehensive clean-up and restoration in high demand. Homeowners as well as professionals such as insurance agents and adjusters look for companies to provide timely, quality response services to assist with mitigation, clean-up and restoration services. SERVPRO of Bordentown /Pemberton is ready to aid and offer solutions for both home and business owners.
Here are 3 Top Services Provided:
- Disaster Response-SERVPRO will respond to any disaster locally and when needed will enlist support from nearby franchises.
- Mitigation and Clean-up-From evaluating and securing the property to total clean up, SERVPRO is a full-service restoration company.
- All in One-SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton provides comprehensive restoration solutions. We work with both insurance agents and adjusters to coordinate the mitigation, clean-up and restoration to allow for a faster project.
Think of SERVPRO Bordentown/Pemberton when disaster strikes. We are locally owned and operated, nearby and ready to help. In addition to Bordentown and Pemberton, we also serve many Burlington County communities.
Call 609-894-8555 for all your storm disaster needs.
Air Quality for Your Building
According to an EPA report released 30 years ago in 1989 to Congress, improved indoor air quality can result in higher productivity and fewer absentee days.
Indoor air quality is not as easily defined as other building maladies. Air pollutants can be generated by indoor and outdoor sources such as house cleaning, pest control, renovation/remodeling, new furnishings, new finishes, and even occupant activities.
The goal to an indoor air quality program is to minimize the pollutants by:
- Isolation-removing the pollutants
- Dilution-removing through ventilation
- Filtration-removal through cleaning the air
Pollutants generally fall into 3 main categories:
Take steps to reduce exposure to contaminants, from new furnishings, and building materials when odors and chemical emissions are usually highest. While emissions information may not yet be available for many products, many product manufacturers are starting to do emission testing.
Other important steps to take:
- Integrate indoor air quality concerns into purchasing decisions
- Establish an effective smoking policy
- Educate building staff about indoor air quality management by
- Providing training opportunities
- Establishing clear pollutant source management policies
Use the EPA/NIOSH guidance document entitled: Building Air Quality: A Guide for Building Owners and Facility Managers
SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton is available 24/7 to address your water, fire, and, mold restoration needs. Call us at 609-894-8555 for prompt response coupled with a personal touch. We are proud to serve our local communities in Burlington County.
It's Hurricane Season, Are you Prepared?
The 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Tropical Activity may last longer than 2018 as El Nino pattern faded. According to AccuWeather, the 2019 season is likely to be ‘back-end’ loaded. The forecast for 2019 is for 12-14 named systems with 2-4 storms predicted to be major hurricanes.
If you are dealing with storm, flood or water damage from recent storms, the experienced team at SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton is ready to respond. Since we are locally owned and operated, we have prepared for expected damage from storms like Hurricane Sandy and are able to respond quickly. Immediate action and a fast response help to reduce damage and mitigate costs associated with restoration. Our highly trained crews have the specialized equipment and resources to handle the job, large or small, residential and commercial. Our teams are prepared with equipment strategically located in case of flood or storm emergency in our area including:
Choose SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton, a local company that specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Call us at 609-894-8555 for immediate relief. We are available 24/7.
The SERVPRO Advantage
Over the past 10 years, there has been rapid advancement in the technology and techniques used in the restoration industry. These advancements allow SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton to restore a property back to normal condition quickly, reliably, and more effectively. Property owners can rest assured that we complete the job with as little interruption as possible.
Moisture Detection and Measurement Equipment
Scientific drying principles rely upon specialized equipment to detect, measure and monitor a property’s moisture levels. Recent advances, like infrared cameras, can help us detect water through a wall, ceiling, or floor.
- An infrared camera may be used to identify water location for thorough water removal.
- Sensitive moisture detectors, hygrometers, and other meters measure the extent of moisture saturation
Water Extraction Equipment
Powerful extraction equipment speeds the drying process by removing the bulk of the water from your home or business.
- Submersible and gas-powered pumps for continuous pumping of high-level water.
- Truck-mounted and portable extraction units perform efficient water removal.
Industrial strength air movers and dehumidifiers are needed to remove the remaining moisture from ceiling, walls, and floors of your home or business. Proper drying helps to prevent swelling and warping of floors, walls, and furniture.
- High-speed air movers cause moisture to evaporate at a faster pace
- Industrial grade dehumidifiers pull the water vapor from the air.
Odor Removal and Deodorization
Water and fire damage often causes powerful odors. The machines we use remove airborne contaminants and control the air quality during the restoration and cleanup process.
- Air scrubbers
- Thermal foggers and deodorization agents
Call SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton for your water, fire, and mold restoration needs. We’re available 24/7, and, welcome your call, 609-894-8555. We are proud to serve our local community:
Minimizing the Risk of a Commercial Fire
The best way to prevent a fire is to have a safety protocol at your business or commercial property. It is so important to follow fire safety rules and have regular risk assessments.
Changes to working areas and procedures and great communication between management and employees help to avert disasters and the consequences.
Of course, random events and natural disasters leave no business owner 100% secure. Formulate a business recovery plan to specify how to deal with the effects of a fire. For any brick and mortar business, a commercial fire will be downtime and could potentially take weeks or months to return to the pre-fire status. SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton can assist you with their Emergency Ready Profile. Timely professional support is vital in minimizing the downtime to your business lost revenues.
The SERVPRO team of Bordentown/Pemberton are trained restoration professionals in fire, smoke and water disasters. We serve the following communities: Bordentown, Browns Mills, Chesterfield, Columbus, Florence, Mansfield, Pemberton, Roebling, Wrightstown & Yardville.
Call us for all your restoration needs 609-894-8555.