Attics--Often Overlooked Culprits for Water Damage
Attics are often an area of your home that is neglected and ignored. Out of sight, out of mind, but even a small attic leak can pose some real problems if left unattended. Stains, mold, swollen or wet insulation are signs of a leak in the attic.
Attic or ceiling damage are initial signs that water is finding its way inside your house. Your roof may be cracked, curled or has shingles missing, damaged flashing leaving your home exposed to wind/rain and water damage.
Another cause of water in your attic is clogged gutters or ice dams in the cold weather. Both allow water to seep into your attic and over time can lead to mold and mildew. Inspect the potential problem areas including root vents and chimney flashing(where the roof connects with the walls)and the valleys(where the two roof planes connect) to help prevent water damage. Water will damage paint, plaster, drywall and compromise the integrity or your wood.
So take a few minutes and look around your attic after a heavy rain to ensure that the area is dry. If you discover a problem, let SERVPRO of Bordentown/ Pemberton help you. Call 609-894-8555, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
4 Easy Steps to Control Fire Damage in the Workplace
fire fighters battling inferno
Follow these steps to reduce the fire risk in your workplace:
- Identify any fire hazard in your workplace, e.g. presence of ignition sources (heaters, lighting, electrical equipment, etc.) and fuel (packaging, plastics, rubber, petrol, chemicals, etc.).
- Assess the risk posed by the hazards that you’ve identified – this will determine which hazards need the most urgent attention.
- Put measures in place to control the risks – the hierarchy of control is a useful tool to use here, e.g. eliminate work processes that could generate an explosive atmosphere, service and clean all machinery as recommended by manufacturers, switch off electricity points when the business is unattended, remove waste material (e.g. fuel) that could act as fuel, store and dispose of flammable substances correctly.
- Monitor the hazards and review the controls – this will ensure that the controls are minimizing the risks effectively.
SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton has highly trained technicians to quickly mitigate damage caused by fire at your business. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to address your fire emergency needs.
Is Your Business Prepared for Severe Weather?
Whether it is the result of climate change or just the unpredictability of severe weather, your business can be subject to significant damage and interruption. Wind damage, heavy rain, and flooding can occur suddenly and cause substantial damage in a matter of minutes. Is your business prepared? Have you taken time to reduce risk by evaluating the areas of your property most likely to be impacted, i.e. HVAC systems; water supply; internet connections; access to ingress and egress, and, protection of inventory. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity.
In the event an emergency weather related situation arises and impacts your business, SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton is prepared to act quickly and with effective solutions. We are available 24 hours, 7 days a week. Call us at 609-894-8555.
Highly Trained Storm and Water Damage Restoration Specialists
Summertime means thunder and lightning and quick intense rainfall, but did you ever stop to wonder how this happens. The science is fascinating and the perfect situation to create these violent works of nature is the collision of warm moist air that is positively charged that collides with cool negatively charged air...BOOM, hot white energy is created, lightning strikes.
This incredible energy created by nature can set off a fire, produce electrical surges and power outages and enough torrential rain to create flash floods. These disasters strike quickly and unexpectedly, but when the need arises, SERVPRO of Bordentown/ Pemberton is ready to assist with our quick responsive approach. We make an evaluation of the services and solutions that are needed, act quickly with our trained professionals to mitigate and minimize the damage.
SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton understands that using the proper techniques and equipment will reduce your losses and have you back in your home or office as quickly as possible, “Like it never even happened.” Call 609-894-8555 for any storm emergency impacting your home or business.
Water Refreshes and Damages
Water is life-sustaining and essential to every living being, whether plant or animal, but unchecked water in your home is a death sentence. Water damage is not only a headache, but it also causes immediate damage and destruction in addition to long-term issues.
First and foremost, it is essential to eliminate the water source and remove the water from the premises. Many times, in the event of natural disasters such as hurricanes and floods, it is imperative to wait until the water has receded. A home or business that retains contaminated floodwater puts the structure and your health at risk, wearing proper protective gear such as boots, gloves and masks just aren’t enough, you need to call in the experts.
When possible, the optimal solution is to pump the water away from the building and clear water-soaked items. Begin to dry the area with dehumidifiers and specialized air-movers to eliminate harmful, excessive moisture. The goal is to prevent structural damage, mold, wood rot, and other fungal growth. SERVPRO of Bordentown/ Pemberton has the latest equipment to handle water mitigation and restoration.
From moisture detection equipment to extractors, dehumidifiers, and anti-microbials, SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton will have you back and operational, “Like it never even happened.”
Call SERVPRO of Bordentown/ Pemberton at 609-894-8555 for your water restoration needs.
Emergency Ready Profile
Your business cannot afford to be closed, but unfortunately disasters will happen. Approximately 50% of businesses never re-open after a disaster due to lost revenue that occurs when a business is non-operational. Be prepared with SERVPRO of Bordentown/ Pemberton’s Emergency Ready Profile.
What is an Emergency Ready Profile? Our Emergency Ready Profile is a quick reference of emergency numbers, and critical building location items such as gas turn-offs, electrical panels or water main shut-off valves that need attention in the event that your employees must move quickly. Also included in the profile are public utility numbers and local municipalities phone lines. This critical information can be all at your fingertips with our mobile app.
Our ERP system is controlled by a username/password combination for optimal security. Data is only accessed via a secure web service using security standards to prevent malicious cyber-attacks. ERP mobile apps are managed through your mobile device. In the iOS version, all data and photos are encrypted, however in the Android version only data is encrypted.
By developing your Emergency Ready Profile, you can minimize your business’ interruption, SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton will assist you in developing a plan of action. Moving quickly and efficiently is key to lessen your losses, begin mitigation and return your business to “Like it never even happened.” Contact us at 609-894-8555 to set up your Emergency Ready Profile.
Emergency Flood Tips for Your Business
One of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States is flooding. Floods can happen naturally on coastlines, near rivers, along city streets or even in the desert. The National Flood Insurance Program sited up to 25% of recent claims have been from low-risk communities. On average, floods cause $6 billion in annual losses in the U.S.
Prevention and timely preparation to handle the potential flooding and affect your restoration and replacement loss. Here are a few prevention tips:
- Determine if your business is located in a flood plain
- Listen to local emergency management instructions
- Carefully asses how your company functions, both internally and externally, to determine which staff, materials, procedures and equipment are absolutely necessary to keep your business operating.
- Create a plan if your building is not accessible. This plan is often referred to as a COOP (continuity of operation)
- Review your emergency plans annually
- Visit: ready.gov/america/local/index/html for a comprehensive plan for your area
Flood Actions Steps:
BEFORE A FLOOD
- Turn off utilities at the main switch valves.
- Disconnect electrical equipment and appliances
- Move vehicles out of low-lying parking garages
- Raise elevators from bottom floor.
AFTER A FLOOD-SAFETY FIRST
- Account that all employees are safe and evacuated to the designated area meeting place.
- If water has moved into the building and evacuation is not possible, move to the upper floor and wait for rescue personnel.
- While evacuating, avoid driving through rising water.
- Do not touch electrical equipment.
- Do not walk through moving water.
- Do not use open flames (gas may be escaping through ruptured mains)
- Avoid floodwaters. Floodwaters may be contaminated with oil, gasoline, raw sewage. Water may be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Listen to news reports to learn if the community’s water supply is safe to drink
- Return only when authorities deem building/area is safe.
SECURE THE PROPERTY
- Contact local emergency officials
- Secure main entrance of building
- Alert Security company and alarm company of the situation.
STABILIZE THE PROPERTY
- Shut off source of water or call qualified party to stop water source
- Give priority to the protection of power plant, fire pumps.
- Open basement of low-level windows to equalize water pressure on the building’s foundation and walls
- Begin water damage mitigation steps only if local authorities deem safe.
- Notify your insurance agent or risk manager.
- Contact SERVPRO of Bordentown /Pemberton to activate your EMERGENCY READY PROFILE: 609-894-8555.
Fireworks Safety tips for July 4th
Celebrate July 4th Safely
According to the National Fire Protection Association, more fires are reported on July 4 than any other day throughout the calendar year. Each year fireworks are responsible on average for over 1,300 structural fires, 300 vehicle fires and more than 17,000 miscellaneous fires that cause personal injuries.
The National Safety Council recommends that fireworks be left to the professionals and advises everyone to stay away from consumer-packaged fireworks and to enjoy the celebrations of your local towns and municipalities.
That being said, if fireworks are legal in your state, take these precautions from the National Safety Council.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks
- Older children should use them only under close adult supervision
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear
- Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Never light them indoors
- Only use them away from people, houses and flammable material
- Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting
- Never ignite devices in a container
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks
- Soak unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don't go off or in case of fire.
SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton wants you to stay safe! Enjoy the parties, barbeques, and celebrations. We are here if you need us. Call 609-894-8555.
Beyond the Smell
A sewer pipe break of back-up is the worst nightmare for any property owner. Sewage backups and black water intrusions are more than nasty, smelly deposits.
Beyond the smell, there is a health risk potential of the dark water which introduces harmful micro-organisms and contaminants into the structure compromised. Although the risk is generally small, contact with the disease-causing organisms is a concern.
SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton will remove the sewage, contaminants, and moisture, while disinfecting the area as they clean. Our methodology helps ensure the building is properly cleaned, disinfected and deodorized eliminating harmful virus’ and bacteria. We are trained professionals in biohazard clean-up and restoration.
For all your cleaning needs, SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton proudly serves Bordentown, Chesterfield, Florence, Pemberton, Wrightstown, Browns Mills, Columbus, Mansfield, Roebling and Yardville. We can be reached 24-hours a day, 365 days a year at (609)894-8555.
How Old is MOLD?
Mold is Mother Nature’s recycler. It turns dead things into dirt and is a critical component to our natural environment only this presents a huge problem if mold begins to go to work on your house or office.
Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in moist environments, either indoors or outdoors. The primary allergen is the mold spore which is airborne, constantly floating in the air and becomes problematic when it attaches to a wet surface and begins to grow. Mold growth can occur within 24-48 hours of a water event according to the US EPA.
Mold growth increased within buildings after the US construction boom following World War II and with the energy crisis in the late ‘70s. After the war there was a need for faster, less expensive construction materials, hence wallboard or more commonly referred to as dry wall and tighter more energy efficient homes allowed for a nationwide opportunity for mold!
Beyond major storm events and flooding, mold may be growing in your house for a several reasons:
- Unknown roofing leak
- Unknown plumbing leak
- Moisture buildup in a basement
- Damp areas under a carpet
- Poor humidity control
Mold grows year-round, with over 100,000 kinds of fungi identified, and reproduce rapidly when moisture is present. Take precautions if you notice the presence of visible mold, you smell strong musty odors, any evidence of past moisture problems and excessive humidity.
SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton can assist you in locating an Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional that can evaluate your structure. As a SERVPRO Professional, we care about proper restoration and in most cases can safely restore your home or office to its preloss condition. Call us at 609-894-8555