Dirty Chimneys Pose a Fire Hazard in Burlington County NJ
There are more than 70,000 house fires annually causing more than $1.3B in property damage and over 2,500 injuries, including Burlington County NJ.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), chimney fires were the cause in approximately 30 percent of house fires.
A dirty chimney can cause hazardous smoke, which can lead to a serious risk of carbon monoxide and chimney fire. This is a normal occurrence to any chimney that has not had routine maintenance. Here are a few tips to follow when preparing your chimney for use, especially in the winter.
- Have your chimney inspected annually by a Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA)-certified chimney sweep. Have a professional clean and repair the chimney as needed, especially before the cold months, when you will be using it frequently.
- Use seasoned wood only. Never burn green or damp wood.
- Never burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash or trees in your fireplace—these can all spark chimney fires.
Signs & Results of a Chimney Fire
According to the Chimney Safety Institute of America, there are four key signs of a fire in the chimney:
- A deep rumbling, like a distant freight train
- Popping and cracking sounds
- Large amounts of thick smoke exiting the chimney
- A hot, intense odor
Do the smart thing. Keep your family and home safe with a professional cleaning by a certified chimney sweep once or twice a year. It should only take 45 min to an hour to complete.
SERVPRO of Bordentown/ Pemberton specializes in fire & water damage restoration in Burlington & Mercer Counties. We have extensive fire damage training, and we are the trusted leader in the restoration industry. Call 609-894-8555.