Beware: Hurricane Season is Not Over Yet in Mercer County, NJ!
Many people consider summer their favorite season due to the seemingly endless sun and warmth. When picturing the summer, people typically forget about the storms and storm damage that can occur. Everyone knows the saying “April showers bring May flowers,” but storms continue throughout the summer, and in fact the threat may even increase during the warmer months.
The hurricane season in the Atlantic region runs from June 1st - November 30th. Just because Labor Day has passed, don’t assume that there won’t be any future hurricanes! This hurricane season has presented record activity in terms of numbers of hurricanes and tropical storms. There have been 17 named tropical storms and 5 hurricanes this season.
While it is difficult to predict oncoming storms, it is crucial to prepare your family and your home for any damage that may ensue.
Steps to Take Before a Storm:
- Prepare an emergency reserve of important supplies such as food, water, clothing, etc.
- Unplug any electrical devices before the storm hits.
- Secure or bring inside any outdoor objects that may cause damage to your home or blow away.
- Shut all doors and windows in your home and be sure to secure the shutters or blinds on the windows.
Steps to Take After a Storm:
- Stay away from flooded and damaged areas to remain safe.
- Stay away from fallen power lines and report them when you see them.
- Take note of any damage to your home and call SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton to help with the restoration process.
Summer storms can be frightening, and they can happen without warning. Always be diligent about preparing yourself for a storm, so if disaster strikes you are less panicked. If your home experiences damage, call SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton at 609-894-8555. We are available 24/7 to address your needs!