Fireworks are Fun But Leave it to the Professionals
Americans love to celebrate their patriotism with picnics, parades and beautiful displays of fireworks.
In NJ, persons 16 years of age and older can lawfully purchase, possess and use certain sparkling devices and novelties such as ground-base sparklers, glow worms & smoke devices (see NJ Consumer Brief for a complete list). Responsible, lawful firework displays are terrific and enjoyed by many, however fireworks account for 2 out of every 5 fires on July 4th which has more fires reported that day than any other of day of the year.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, more fires are reported on July 4 than any other day throughout the calendar year. Each year fireworks are responsible on average for over 1,300 structural fires, 300 vehicle fires and more than 17,000 miscellaneous fires that cause personal injuries.
The National Safety Council recommends that fireworks be left to the professionals and advises everyone to stay away from consumer-packaged fireworks and to enjoy the celebrations of your local towns and municipalities.
That being said, if fireworks are legal in your state, takes these precautions from the National Safety Council.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks
- Older children should use them only under close adult supervision
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear
- Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Never light them indoors
- Only use them away from people, houses and flammable material
- Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting
- Never ignite devices in a container
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks
- Soak unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don't go off or in case of fire.
SERVPRO of Bordentown/Pemberton wants you to stay safe! Enjoy the parties, barbecues, and celebrations. We are here if you need us. Call 609-894-8555.