6 Key Steps to Take After a Basement Flood
- Address Health & Safety Issues: Keep children & animals out of the basement and away from standing water.
- Deactivate Services: Turn off energy services around the affected area, including gas and electricity.
- Stop the Flood Source: A DIY option is not recommended in most instances. It is highly advised to call a professionally trained water/flood restoration company to quickly address the source of the water damage. If you are able to identify the source quickly, (i.e. leak from bathroom plumbing) make sure to wear waterproof gloves and boots to protect your skin from potentially dangerous chemicals in the standing water.
- Extract the Water & Ventilate: Allowing good airflow through the affected area will aid in the drying process. A professional water damage company will use advanced blowers to accelerate the drying process.
- Disinfect the Area: Dry and disinfect the entire area. This is especially important when trying to prevent or contain the growth of harmful mold, spores and bacteria.
Call Insurance Company: Homeowners policies don’t typically cover natural disasters-floods, so check with your insurance company to determine your coverage and next steps.